Friday, October 15, 2004

The Pho King

Posted by Hello


My friends know that prior to my diet I was a Pho (pronounced "fa?") fanatic. Thus, some of my friends would call me the Pho King! I could eat the delicious Vietnamese rice noodle soup in savoury beef broth many days in a row. Living in Southern California in an area near the largest Vietnamese community outside of Vietnam, I was fortunate to be able eat Pho all over the place. Mmmmm, how I miss eating this dish. Unfortunately, Pho is not on the Page diet because the noodles are made out of rice and it probably contributed to my weight gain. Not that I was skinny to begin with. Hmmm....maybe it was a combination of Pho, beer, sake, burgers, cokes, rice, pasta,...ok I'm an eating machine so you get the picture. Well, the Pho King has now abdicated his throne. Well, I still have my "throne and reading library" but that's a different story. Well, I guess I could eat the meat and the soup. Hmmmm, maybe that is what I will do in the near future especially with the cooler weather. One of the best places to eat this dish in my area is a place called Pho 99 near the Cerritos Mall. Another great place is called Pho Thang Long near Little Saigon in Garden Grove.

One thing I noticed is that alot of the restaurants that specialize in Pho has a bunch of numbers like the mentioned Pho 99. I've always wondered what it means. My guess is that they are lucky numbers. With all them numbers and the close proximity of different Pho restaurants in Little Saigon can make one go a little bonkers. The way I solved the problem was to try most of them out. The ones that I mentioned earlier were the ones that stood out from the pack. Another thing I noticed is that the majority of these restaurants only accept cash. I wonder why they do that when it can cause an inconvenience to the customers. Anyways, if you're in Garden Grove or Cerritos go and eat some Pho. Maybe you can be the next Pho King!

5 Comments:

At 10/15/2004 8:49 AM, Blogger Yano said...

I think I've been to Pho 99! Is it a couple blocks from the mall, in one of those strip mall places? It was actually the first time I had pho. Veeeery tasty stuff. We just don't have places like that in Chicago - that I've found, anyway!

 
At 10/15/2004 9:00 AM, Blogger Colby said...

Dude, pho rocks!

 
At 10/15/2004 11:40 AM, Blogger Stanielsan said...

To Yano: No Pho in Chicago? That is a bummer. I would think it would be the perfect food during the cold times there.

To Colby: Yeah, pho does rock. I have to agree with it. I can't believe some of my Caucasian friends don't even want to try it. My buddy Dennis loves pho. I often tell him that he must have some Asian blood in him.

To annettebanker: Yes you are correct, they did change their name to Pho 75 and thanks for the lead on the place in Fullerton. Dang, I really miss eating that stuff.

 
At 10/15/2004 12:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am the white guy who is guilty of "asian blood". I love a good PHO and some nice fresh SUSHI... If it's still moving it tastes best :). It's an Asian baby! I like my sushi on thhis placemat!!

http://www.cristine.net/~cristine/images/nakedsushi2.jpg>

 
At 10/15/2004 4:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you are ever in the Alhambra area, try Pho 79 on Garfield and Main St. Their noodles are cooked to perfection--nice and chewey.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home