Friday, December 17, 2004

Spam and Other Canned Meat

Mmmm...Canned Meat!


I love Spam! It is funny how people make so much fun of Spam or are so negative about Spam when it is so tasty. I love Spam and other types of canned meat. It must be my island upbringing. I don't understand why people will say that Spam is gross and yet they eat non-kosher hot dogs. I mean the ingredients in Spam are so simple and pure like shoulder of pork, ham, salt, sugar, water, potato starch and sodium nitrate while a non-kosher hot dog is made up of pork snouts, lips, tails, ears, and other parts. Now that's what I call disgusting. It is so funny that I have tricked people into eating Spam. I once made Spam fried rice for some friends who stated that they think Spam is disgusting. Well, they ate it up thinking that the meat in the fried rice was ham. They were quite surprised when they found out that it was actually Spam and now they have come to the light and are now eating Spam.

I love to slice up Spam and fry them up until they have a nice crispy crust on the sides. It goes great with eggs. Plus it is a low carb food since it has 0% carbs! Perfect for this island boy. For you carb eaters out there, I got a great recipe for the previously mentioned Spam fried rice. There is also Spam musubi which is just awesome. For those not familiar with Spam musubi, it is basically Spam sushi...Fried Spam, teriyaki sauce, rice, wrapped up in nori (dried seaweed). You really have to try that one!

Other canned meat products that I love are corned beef and vienna sausages. Yummy treats to eat! I like to fry up corned beef with cabbage and sliced onions and I like to nuke vienna sausages and eat them with soft boiled eggs. Dang, I'm starting to get hungry writing about this.

Hawaii is the biggest consumer of Spam in the US. They also are probably one of the largest consumers of canned corned beef and vienna sausages too. It must be because it was a handy source of meat in the islands where it required no refridgeration and has enough saltiness that goes perfectly with rice. They say that the average person in Hawaii consumes six cans of Spam per year. Well, I know I consume more than that a year. Well, try some Spam and I know you will enjoy it. If you don't enjoy it, there must be something wrong with you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home