Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Latest Debate on Calcium and Dairy

There seems to be a growing conflict between groups that favor an increase in dairy consumption to increase dietary calcium intake and those that say dairy calcium is inefficient. The argument is strongest between the U.S. Government and the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine, which is a pro vegetarian group.

Although I am not pro vegetarian (I like to eat juicy charbroiled cows...mmmm....steak...), I really feel that the issue of increasing calcium intake to prevent osteoporosis is not resolved by increasing consumption of low-fat dairy products. Instead, an increase in consumption of dark green vegetables is the best source. Other foods rich in calcium are taro, seaweed, and tofu.

There have been numerous studies showing dairy to be inefficient in providing the body with calcium. Some studies indicate that only 10% of the calcium in dairy is absorbed to be used while calcium obtained from vegetable sources has a better assimilation rate of 70%+. Of course pro dairy groups dispute those studies. I would have to disagree with the pro dairy groups based on my own observations and conclusions from reading various nutrition articles.

What have I observed or read? Well, let me ask you this question. We know milk contains calcium, right? Where did the calcium come from? Hmm...it came from the cow eating grasses in the field. It's not like the cow drinks its own milk along with some cookies or pops a calcium pill. Did you know that grasses such as barley is a rich source of calcium? I'm not advocating that we get rid of our lawn mowers and eat grass (there are barley drinks out in the market that are good for you, provides calcium, and can detoxify your body). Instead, if cows obtain calcium from vegetable sources, why can't we? At this point you might be saying, "Well, I can get calcium from milk too" and that is a good statement. However, for adults to consume milk is unnatural. Man is the only species to consume milk from another species and the only species that consumes milk as an adult. Also, the majority of the world's adult population is lactose intolerant. I guess there is a reason why most adults become lactose intolerant...yeah, because we are suppossed to be weaned off of milk like the rest of the mammals once we stop being infants.

Another point is looking at ancient Hawaiians or Polynesians in general. They were and still are big. Have you ever seen Samoans, they can be huge! Well, in ancient times they were still big and strong but leaner. Well, their strong bones did not come from drinking milk. Instead, their calcium sources was from taro. Still another observation, why is it that there are increasing incidents of osteoporosis in countries with high dairy consumption? Wouldn't this be the opposite if milk was a great source of calcium? Finally, growing up as a child, I was lactose intolerant and hardly drank milk but yet I was told by doctors that I had very healthy and strong bones. I still remember one doctor saying, "You must drink a lot of milk." I surprised him with my answer of, "No, I just eat a lot of vegetables."

I'm not saying I am anti dairy. In fact, I love to eat raw cheese and raw butter and drink raw milk. I'm just saying that dairy is not a good source for calcium. If you want to obtain rich sources of calcium, along with phytonutrients, antioxidants, and fiber (you gotta have fiber...makes your morning flow well), then consume vegetables such as kale, collard greens, brocolli, spinach, bok choy...any dark green vegetable are great sources.

Here's a great low carb recipe for kale:

Lacinato kale - about 3 bunches, cleaned and coarsely chopped into 3 inch strips.
4 slices of thick sliced bacon, chopped.
3 cloves of garlic sliced or chopped.
2 Tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil.
1 Tablespoon of butter.
Salt and pepper to taste.

Heat a dutch oven or a stewing pot to a medium heat. Add 1 Tablespoon of olive oil and the chopped bacon. When the bacon is turning brown, add the sliced/chopped garlic. Do not burn the garlic! When the garlic becomes soft, add the kale. Once the kale starts to wilt, add the butter and salt and pepper to taste. Do not overcook the kale. Prior to serving pour the remaining olive oil.

1 Comments:

At 3/11/2005 7:01 PM, Blogger Darlene Schacht said...

This is interesting. My obstatrician told me that if I don't want to drink milk when I was pregnant, don't drink it. And I didn't. I was surprised to hear him say that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home