Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Performed My Civic Duty

Today I did my civic duty by being a jurist for the day. I had to go to the courthouse early to beat the crowd at the security screening. Made sure that I left all of my guns, ammunition, Stinger missles, and dirty bombs at home so I would be able to pass through security smoothly.

Once I got there, it was a long wait process. I didn't get selected for a panel for about 5 hours. 5 hours of waiting around and reading newspapers and magazines. At least I got to read an old issue of Cosmopolitan while I was in the jury pool waiting area. Boy, that magazine is almost the same as Playboy, which of course I only read the articles.

With all the boredom of waiting to be selected to be on a jury, I really wanted to take a nap in the waiting area. Unfortunate for me, I snore like a freight train. I could have easily sucked the paint off the walls in the waiting area. So, I tried to stay awake by drinking coffee. Well, drinking a lot of coffee has its consequences. I had to go pee like a race horse several times. Luckily, things subsided once I was called into a court room to be a potential jurist. However, I was extremely thirsty. I guess it is better to be thirsty than to feel like the flood gates of the Hoover Dam.

I did not get to be on the jury and was told that my duty is completed and I could go home. I actually wanted to be on this case. It involved a person with a prior conviction charged with possesion of meth and a handgun. I had served on a jury twice. One was a criminal case where we found the guy guilty of assault with a the intent of causing great bodily harm and battery. That case was very interesting. Let's say that the DA really did his homework and the defense attorney was like a 25 watt light bulb. The other case was a civil case where they eventually settled.

Well, at least I got to have the day off and see my tax dollars at work. Hopefully next time I get to serve on a jury.

3 Comments:

At 3/02/2005 1:52 AM, Blogger Stacey said...

You are one of the first people I ever heard of "wanting" to be on a jury...most people try their very best to get out of what they consider an "inconvience" instead of "civic duty." What's that I hear in the background...is it the Star Spangled Banner?????

 
At 3/07/2005 12:43 PM, Blogger Darlene Schacht said...

I don't even know anyone who has been on jury duty. That is odd that you have been on twice already. I would like to and I wouldn't. For a day it would be great, but having to go everyday for a while would be a burden.

 
At 3/07/2005 11:15 PM, Blogger Stanielsan said...

I like to see the legal system at work and I just think it is interesting. Plus, it gives me time off from work! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home