Monday, February 07, 2005

Beautiful Kaua'i

















I was visiting some web sites for the island of Kaua'i recently to mentally plan for our honeymoon. It seems that little has changed since I visited that island as a child. I remember visiting the places where these photos were taken. I just wanted to share with you the beauty of Kaua'i with her tropical lush green forests. Kaua'i is a very romantic island and a perfect places for a honeymoon.

Oh how I miss Hawai'i. I consider Hawai'i to be home. Yeah, I live in California and will be living here with my fiance once we are married in April. But, I will always consider Hawai'i to be home. There is something that always draws me back to be there. I know it is not just because I'm from there or my family is there. It seems as if the land calls out to me and when I'm there I feel at peace. It is hard to explain.

Just by looking at the pictures of Kaua'i, it makes me a bit homesick though I am not from Kaua'i. I was raised on the island of O'ahu. For those that don't know much about Hawai'i, O'ahu is where Honolulu, the state capitol, is and the famous Waikiki beach. For those that are familiar with the old TV program, Hawai'i Five-O, that the island where all the action was. I really miss the casual lifestyle and rich diversity there. So why am I living in LA you might ask? All about having a job. The employment situation is not very good in Hawai'i. Unless you are working in the tourist industry or medicine, it is very difficult to find a great paying job. On top of that, there is the high cost of living. I wanted to work in the technical field and it is very tough finding employment there. So, here I am on the mainland.

At least here in LA, there are enough people from Hawai'i that there is a Hawaiian community here. I can buy food stuffs from Hawai'i and go to Hawaiian restaurants. I even used to be a musician in a hula group. So the longing to be in Hawai'i is a bit alleviated living in LA. Still, I do wish to return to her shores and live there again one day. I think once you visit Hawai'i and experience it for what she really is, you too will feel as if the land is calling to you to return.

6 Comments:

At 2/07/2005 2:09 PM, Blogger Stacey said...

I was in Kauai once in 1992...I definately lack the vocabulary to descirbe the experience...I long to travel back one day...

 
At 2/07/2005 7:06 PM, Blogger Stanielsan said...

Definitely looking forward to visiting Kaua'i again. I miss Hawaii.

 
At 2/08/2005 11:14 AM, Blogger Litzko said...

Hi, thanks for your comments on my blog. I know how much people from Hawaii miss Hawaii. My husband is from here, Kailua, Kahaluu area, and moved to Las Vegas and lived there for 4 years. He told me he really missed Hawaii those days. Now he is back in hometown and looks really happy. Fortunately he's been in retail business for a long time. Living cost over here is really high but we both work so we can manage.
Come visit my blog from time to time!

 
At 2/08/2005 12:44 PM, Blogger Darlene Schacht said...

The PMS post was definitely hilarious. I am a huge, carb fanatic. You have no idea how much carbs I eat. That could be what's causing my stress hmmm....

 
At 2/09/2005 1:22 AM, Blogger Stanielsan said...

Lisa, thanks for visiting and I will visit your blog again soon. Yes, the cost of living is very high there but for me it is still home.

Darlene, I'm glad you you liked the PMS post. Yes, eating a lot of carbs could be the cause for added stress.

 
At 2/18/2005 11:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My wife was born on Maui, her parents were missionaries there at the time, and at every gathering of the in-laws I always got to hear "Hawaii this, Hawaii that". Yeah Yeah Yeah... SHUT THE HECK UP!!! I figured it was all pretense.

Then my mother and father in law moved back to Lahaina to minister to the homeless there so we got to visit, naturally. As soon as I stepped off the airplane I was of the firm opinion: "Hawaii this, Hawaii that"!!! The air was different, even in the open air of the tarmac that should have smelled like fuel fumes and other yucky stuff, the air was different, much more accomodating, with a hint of some flowery smell to it. Makes your body happy to be there (even though I'd not slept in a full day due to all the travel I'd never felt more alive and comfortable than that moment, physical-health speaking).

I told the inlaws to pack it up and get back to the mainland, the homeless on Maui are going to be just fine :)

It ain't like there's not a mango or something on a tree every few feet...

- Jason

 

Post a Comment

<< Home