Tuesday, April 26, 2005

The Parents

So far I'm surviving rather well with my parents staying with me. Well, it only has been a couple of days so things may change but for the most part it has been good.

Sunday was a rather tiring day in which my parent, fiance, and I went shopping for a dining table and chairs. As I mentioned during my previous post that my dining table and chairs were on their last legs...literally. Anyways, we looked at various stores and finally settled on getting a dining table and four chairs from IKEA. My parents were fascinated with IKEA since they don't have one in Hawaii. The chairs and table were quite a deal. On top of the dining set, we also purchased a shoes cabinet from a local Japanese store. If you are wondering what a shoe cabinet is, it is a small cabinet made specifically for storing shoes. I'm sure it will fill up once my fiance moves in. Let's just say that she has similarities to Imelda Marcos in the shoes department.

It was quite fun putting together the stuff we had bought. I was impressed with my fiance's skill at assembling furniture though she needs to change her opinions about power tools. She was telling me that you don't need a drill to assemble the furniture but of course any man with power tools will say otherwise. I think I impressed her with my use of the screwdriver attachment to screw in the screws to the table...then again, maybe not since she was so focused on getting the table together. Of course, my dad was being a spectator in the assembly process. In a way, it was good that he did not participate in putting the stuff together since he is a bit mechanically challenged.

It is funny with my family. My mom is the actual one who does a lot of the mechanical work around the house and is kind of like a handyman. My dad thinks he can fix stuff but ends up breaking stuff more often. I guess I get my mechanical skills from my mom.

My dad did drive me a little crazy on Monday night. He kept bugging me about stuff that I need to do and told him that things were already taken care of. Then 10 minutes later, he starts again. Of course, I'm trying to hold my temper but then after the third time, I had to slam it home and told him that enough is enough. Ugh!

It was nice though that when I got home, my mom had warmed up my dinner and had stuff ready for me to eat. It was great having mom's home cooking. I can make the same stuff she does but it always tastes better when mom makes it.

Tomorrow, my parents and I are going over for dinner to my future in-law's place. It should be an interesting day tomorrow since I have work scheduled for the afternoon way across town and then I have to race home to take my parents over for dinner. I think I'm starting to feel the premarital stress now. Oh well, I guess I just have to go with the flow and try to do the best I can. Well, that's all for now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home