Wednesday, May 11, 2005

A Rather Down Couple of Days

I'm still getting over being a bit homesick after leaving my beautiful home state of Hawai'i. I really miss it and miss my parents. I often think of them since they are not getting any younger and my mom has a chronic illness. It is not that she is dying but she does not really have a lot of years to live with her disease of hepatitis C. Fortunately, she has never really drank any alcohol and she is in overall good health except for the virus. Her condition is stable and the agents found in her blood that is a precursor to cancer is low enough that she doesn't need to get a check up every 3 months. I got her on a regiment of supplements that has made a big impact on her health. If you are curious about hepatitis C and supplements to keep your liver healthy, here is the link to the National Hepatitis C Coalition, Inc.

Another downer is that early this morning, we received a call that my wife's cousin was on life support after his heart stopped beating and that the family decided to let him rest in peace by pulling the plug. He was battling cancer and diabetes and his body finally could not fight. His condition was terminal and there was nothing the doctors could do except give him drugs to keep him alive. He went under full cardiac arrest for about 15 minutes and was revived but there was not chance for any recovery. We all gathered to say our goodbyes and prayed that the Lord's will be done. The respirator was then removed and they stopped administering drugs to keep his heart going. It was my first time to see someone die before my very eyes. It was all over after 40 minutes when he was pronounced that he was no longer with us here on earth. It was sad for his wife and his two young sons as well as for my wife and her family.

On top of all of the things happening, I had to go to work but really couldn't concentrate with my body still a bit on vacation mode and with all of the things going through my head with my wife and her family and with my worries about my parents. I'm sure in a few days, I'll be getting back to gear and life will come back to normal.

My wife has been keeping sane by getting herself moved in and keeping busy with rearranging the place but at the same time she's been busy in coordinating things with her family with her cousin's passing. I'm sure she is going through a lot of stress. With a death in the family, a new life, a new place, I'd be going crazy. I'm being supportive of her and helping her with things around the house. I really haven't complained of all the changes she's been doing with my place. At least she has not told me to rearrange the furniture...yet! I figure not to make any complaints of the changes since she's been doing things to keep her sanity and doesn't need me to stress her out even further. Besides, I think a few changes are good. Ok, I'm a person who really doesn't like changes but I'll let it go since she does have a knack for decorating. My sense of decorating is having newspapers and bills pile up on the coffee table or stacking beer cans in a pyramid. No more of that...bummer, I mean great!

I'm just concerned with my wife and her family right now. I'm sure things will be back to normal once her cousin's funeral is over but for now it is kind of hectic. I'll just be the supporting husband that I vowed to be and help wherever I can. Well, that's it for now. I hope to have better news and pictures of Hawai'i in the near future. Aloha!

2 Comments:

At 5/13/2005 6:43 AM, Blogger Yano said...

Ahh, reminds me a bit of when I got married. We moved out to California right after the wedding, I had a new kind of job, and my mother died several months later. It was a lot to deal with - so much change, so many emotions.

I'm keeping you guys in my thoughts. Just be there to support each other and things will turn out ok.

Guess what, I saw Lanie yesterday! She stopped by the city for lunch during her tour...

 
At 5/13/2005 12:14 PM, Blogger Stanielsan said...

Thanks for keeping us in your thoughts. Yeah, I've been doing the best I can to be supportive to the family.

I'm glad you got to see Lanie. It was cool that you ladies got a chance to meet. So when is the next time you are back here to visit?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home