Wednesday, February 09, 2005

I Want My Plate Lunch!

While I was cooking up Spam and eggs for breakfast, visions of a nice plate lunch came to mind. For those of you who are not familiar with plate lunches, it is a Hawaiian version of take out fast food. Plate lunches usually comes with an entree, two scoops of rice, and macaroni salad. The prices are reasonable...around five to seven bucks.

One of my old favorites, and I say old because I now do the low carb thing is a loco moco. It is two fried eggs and hamburger patty on a bed of rice all covered with brown gravy. Mmmm...gravy. This meal is a great way to start the day. Other favorites are beef stew and beef curry stew. Yeah, I like saucey stuff. It goes great with rice and with the macaroni salad.

One thing that I noticed when I first came to the mainland from Hawaii is that the macaroni salad out here is sweetened. Yuck! Hawaiian style macaroni is totally different. We do not sweeten the salad or put in relish. Relish is reserved for hot dogs! Hawaiian macaroni salad is usually made with macaroni, mayonaise (and not miracle whip which makes me gag), finely chopped onions, salt, pepper, shredded carrots, and in some cases, a little bit of canned tuna.

Man, I'm torturing myself writing this! I miss eating a nice plate lunch. It doesn't help that there are quite a few places where they sell plate lunches in LA. It is so tempting to go in and grind away on a plate lunch but I exert self control...more like denial of comfort food...oh well. At least when I do go to a Hawaiian restaurant, I do make good eating choices that are filling and low carb. I guess losing 53 pounds is motivation for me to stick to the diet. I would like to lose more so I guess I'm sticking to this low carb lifestyle.

Well, lunch time and I guess I'll cook up some low carb Hawaiian food!

3 Comments:

At 2/10/2005 1:54 PM, Blogger Stanielsan said...

Don't know about that one. I do know that the low carb diet has worked out for me quite well. I've lost 53 pounds in about 5 months. It is possible that low fat is good but not those products that say low fat but are high in refined carbs.

 
At 2/11/2005 6:34 PM, Blogger Stanielsan said...

That is true. That's why I'm not on the Atkins Diet but on the Page diet. I include vegetables, both raw and cooked in my diet. I have a link on my page that connects to the Page diet. It was created way before Atkins.

 
At 2/23/2005 1:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm on the "eat like a pig diet" - seems to work for me :D

My favorite Resaraunt on Maui is a plate lunch place, right on the ocean on Front Street in Lahaina, just down the road from people packed into noisy cheeboogie in paradise forrest gump shrimporama hardrock cafe 20 dollar per plate meals crap is the Aloha Mixed Plate, a patio on the beach serving the good for 6 bucks or so.

The most gay man on the planet is Waiter For Life there and I was pleased to see that he made it onto the front page of their (new) web site: http://www.oldlahainaluau.com/oll_menuAlohaMixedPlate.html he's also on their old: http://www.mauimenusonline.com/restaurants/mixedplate/ super star I reckon, super nice dude, or do I just think that cuz he's the guy with the plates?! :D

- Jason

 

Post a Comment

<< Home