Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Hawaiian Style Soy Sauce Chicken

You know, I wrote on the header of my blog that I have interests in cooking and other things but have not really put cooking stuff on my blog. Well, here it is a recipe for you readers. Note that I really don't measure when I cook so the measurements for the ingredients are estimates and you may have to add more or less depending on your taste. Sorry for no exact measurements...I learned from watching and tasting.

Here's my recipe for what the locals in Hawaii call shoyu chicken:

6 chicken thighs (you can use breast meat but I like nice, juicy thighs!)
3 cloves garlic, lightly crushed.
1 inch piece of ginger, peeled.
1/2 cup soy sauce (kikkoman is the best for this recipe)
1/2 cup brown sugar (white sugar is ok if you don't have brown)
Water

Place water and chicken thighs in a pan and boil it under high heat until the chicken is cooked thoroughly but don't overcook it...you don't want to eat some sort of protein matter.

Reserve one cup of the water that was boiling with the chicken and drain the rest...water that is, not the chicken. Put back the reserved water and add the rest of the ingredients. Let the sauce simmer with the chicken for about 20 minutes on medium heat. You may have to adjust the soy sauce, sugar, and water depending on your taste. It should taste a little salty and sweet. If you want a thick sauce for it, just add a slurry of cornstarch and water to the sauce when you are done. I don't prefer a thick sauce but some people do.

Give it a try and let me know how it came out.

1 Comments:

At 5/26/2005 12:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

im gonna have to try this
now let's see if i can remember

 

Post a Comment

<< Home